I didn’t buy clothes for a month.
Not such a big deal, you say?
Well, for someone who loves to shop it clearly is a huge deal. But let me start:
When we redecorated our house a bit this december I also got a new (second) closet. It is a big one. So I found myself digging through a HUGE pile of clothes, shaking my head, thinking „why did I buy that? It looks exactly like that other one I already had!“ – I don’t know if you know that feeling but it’s not a great one, realizing you have kind of a problem. I found out I had several skirts I never wore. I also own lots of shirts and jeans I never wear. Not to speak of the 60 dresses.
Anyways, after I put all my clothes in my new closet I realized I have to stop buying stuff. So I stopped. During that phase I also learned that I used to go Shopping for different reasons:
– because I was bored
– because I was unhappy
– because I was happy
– because „we’re going to visit friends and I want to wear something cute“ was the perfect excuse
– because online Shopping is so easy
– … because I got used to going to the stores every weekend to search for new „treasures“ I so often didn’t even wear.
That „getting used to“- part was the worst. Because it is dangerous. You know, kind of addictive?
By now I didn’t do any kind of clothes Shopping for a month. I bought a lot of books instead, but – hey – books to me are what keeps my soul together. I just love them. But that’s another story.
So how did I do it? The first two weeks were the worst. I used to think of Shopping a lot. Isn’t that crazy? But like I said – it became a habit of mine. Instead of Shopping I cooked and read and met with friends more often. Then it became more easy. I didn’t think of Shopping at all. Sometimes I went to an Online Store and then realized I was not to buy any clothes – so I quit and knitted instead. Knitting has become fun again!
And right now, one month has passed and I want to keep the „no Shopping“-attitude a few more weeks. No Shopping in February but due to my birthday I will be Shopping a little with my mom in march.
The good things about that:
– I get to save a some money
– I get to wear „old“ clothes more often. And a lot of people ask if they were new and when I tell them they are pretty old I am not even lying!
– I am already looking forward to buying something special in march. Because you know – for me it is quality over quantity this year. And since I already own so much stuff I need special things to pimp my closet!
– I don’t feel like a fashion victim anymore. YAY!
Have you ever experienced „no Shopping“-time or are you a regular Shopper like I was? I would love to hear your stories.